Yep, we created an entire VIDEO and MAGAZINE devoted solely to what to expect from our makeup artist the day of your shoot – and it includes how to prep your skin too!
Want the whole video?
Book a session and you’ll receive a private link for viewing, as well as the magazine – PLUS a What to Wear Magazine as well!
I want to make SURE you are totally ready for your session!
SENIOR & TEEN Portraits INCLUDE Professional Makeup
- WHY? Professional Makeup Artists know how to apply makeup, taking advantage of technical / natural lighting so that skin looks flawless.
- Many times a subtle change of eye, lip or cheek color (to compliment wardrobe change) makes the difference between a “good” and “great!” photo.
- Don’t WORRY! We are NOT in the biz of making you look like someone else… we want you to be comfortable and happy on this awesome day, so we will discuss at length what your comfort level with makeup is! The goal is to have you look like YOU on your very best day. If you want to be more adventurous with makeup, that’s fine – just let us know and don’t be afraid to speak up! You won’t hurt our feelings! Really!!!!
- Jami will apply your makeup at your home before we leave for the location – she prefers a nice, kitchen table or somewhere with natural light for best results.
- It might feel like you’re wearing a LOT of makeup but in the photos, it will not show up the same way… trust me.
- Jami will apply beautiful false eyelashes to enhance the awesomeness of your own eyes – she is a PRO at this and does it lickity-split; if you aren’t used to wearing these, it may feel a little weird at first but they look AMAZING in photos and really draw the attention to your eyes.
* Jami Cox is an amazing makeup artist. She makes everyone look fabulous (even the guys). If you love the way you look …and I know you will… a suggested amount between $15-40 (or whatever you like!) would be a nice way to say “Thank You” for your flawless face!
Some Senior Portrait sessions include hair styling as well – if yours does, please let us know how you would like to have your hair styled that day. (Most of my High School Senior girls love a soft, beach wave)
If your session DOES include it, make sure you hair is CLEAN and dry when we arrive.
For Family Shoots, please make sure the kids’ hair is nice and clean!
Tame the frizz & flyaways. Try TIGI Bed Head’s Hair Stick or similar product from your local drug store. Lightly rub the stick across your palm and smooth stray hairs. A smooth polished look for your hair will produce the best images.
Style your bangs and “cement” them in place. If you like your bangs wispy, style them to perfection and spray heavily with hair spray. A slightly breezy day can make your bangs go bonkers.
Bows, flowers and hats… are all great ways to add interest to your photo. Be sure to bring them to the shoot instead of wearing them so that your hair doesn’t get flat before your shoot.
**FLOWER CROWNS** I make custom crowns with FRESH flowers for anyone who asks! So just ASK if you want one!
MAKEUP for Family Sessions:
(although I highly suggest you hire Jami!)
If you are applying your own makeup for family shoots, keep in mind that eye colors should be matte. Even though you may wear shimmery shadow on a daily basis, anything shiny or shimmery tends to look oily on photographs (and it sticks to fine lines!) Mascara is a must, and don’t be shy! Expert makeup tip is ALWAYS do the bottom lashes firs, then apply on top lashes to avoid getting mascara on your upper lid. Sweep upper lashes toward the temples to give a sultry shape to the eye. If you would like Jami Cox to apply your makeup for your family shoot, she will do her best to fit you in, so try and book her right after we solidify our day/time.
Natural or vivid? Well, either can work. Try starting with a slightly colored neutral tone for the first half of the photo session, then turn it up with vivid color! Avoid super shiny lip glosses since the reflections can be difficult to photograph.
Mineral make up looks amazing in person, but the high reflective qualities make your face appear flat, or causes shine and glare which causes skin to appear oily. Try a matte foundation and powder for a flawleess photographic face. Keep in mind that because I shoot outdoors in all natural light, you may want to apply your foundation a tad darker than normally..
Make sure your nails look nice. They are more noticeable than you think! Plus, it’s an excuse to treat yourself to a manicure!
You can also get some great inside info by following me on instagram!